Jan Mayen seismometer station JNE/Ulla: Upgrade work July / August 2018. Click photos to enlarge.
- Photos showing removal of old, and installation of new cabin, were taken by Jan Mayen station personnel.
- Upgrades consisted of:
- New windgenerator, from manufacturer Superwind, model number SW-353.
Our engineering considerations regarding wind generators are documented here.
- New solar panel, model "MaxPower" 160 Watt, with dimensions W x D x H =
1470 x 660 x 50 mm, weight: 12.5 kg, installed in a metal frame.
"As built" documentation on solar power system is here.
- New 2.4 GHz WLAN telemetry system, documented here.
- Adding new class of instrumentation: Geodetic GNSS receiver, Trimble model NetR9.
Antenna installed temporarily on short bolt, by drilling 32 mm diameter hole into rock, to a depth of 30 cm, and injecting rapid-setting compound.
- New seismometer system, supplied by Canadian company Nanometrics:
- Sensor, 3-component broadband type, model Trillium 120QA Vault. Sensor will later be installed in pipe with inner diameter 295 mm, 1 meter depth, in center of vault.
- Digitizer, model Centaur, 3 channel version,
- GPS antenna connected to digitizer (for time-stamping purposes) is a model designed for marine use, suitable for the harsh climate conditions on Jan Mayen:
Mfr: SANAV - San Jose Technology, Inc. model number GA-88P.
- Preparations are made for later installation of Iridium based reset unit -- Xeos Technologies model XI-202 -- so we can do remote power cycling if there are instrumentation or telemetry hang-ups.
Iridium antenna is mounted on stainless steel pipe, 1 m Long, 26.4mm Nominal Outer Diameter, 3/4 inch BSPT connection (supplier RS Components P/N: 190-844) --
not perfectly matching threading of antenna, but good enough.
- Outer layer of sensor plywood box, made in 1984, is worn and in parts show signs of deteriation. It was now painted.
We consider cladding it with thin sheets of Aluminum, of alloy 5754
which has high corrosion resistance, with spacing for ventilation. These Aluminum sheets can be delivered with additional surface treatment, even anodized with desired color (code: NCS "S 0580-Y").